Saturday, January 1, 2011

Grandma's Funeral

Jean Sparks Payne 1923 ~ 2010 Wife, mother, grandmother, and great-grandmother, Betty "Jean" Sparks Payne, 87 years of age, passed away on December 15, 2010, in Salt Lake City, Utah. Of the many titles Jean held, "Grandma" meant the most to her. Jean was born November 20, 1923, in Idaho, the first child of Cottrell Nate Sparks and Cornelia Mumford Sparks. Jean excelled in academics, skipping a grade in elementary school and graduating as class valedictorian from Montpelier High School. She attended Utah State University (Agricultural College of Utah). Jean valued higher education and encouraged her children and grandchildren to earn a college degree. Jean married Cecil E. Payne on April 9, 1948, in the Logan, Utah LDS Temple. Jean and Cecil moved to Salt Lake City and raised three children together. In addition to her role as mother, Jean also enjoyed a successful career in the banking industry, serving in many capacities including assistant vice president at American Savings. While always gracious and proper, Jean also had a wonderful sense of humor and loved dancing and music. Above all, her greatest joy was her family. Jean frequently said she "wouldn't trade the world" for her children and grandchildren, who were the light of her life and her reason for living. Her generosity and selfless love ensured their happiness and wellbeing. Married for 59 years, Jean is preceded in death by her husband, Cecil. Jean is survived by her son, Corey; daughter, Jan; son, Mark (Dawn Rae); grandchildren, Amber, Angela (Jon), Craig, Tyler (Amanda), Daniel, Chase, Seth, Dustin, Krystle, Zach; great-grandson, Noah; brother, Gordon; brother, Daryl (Betty); and sister, Marilyn (Paul). Jean is also survived by many loved in-laws, nieces, nephews, and many beloved friends.

My sweet grandma passed away a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to save these pictures somewhere and write down some thoughts.  I guess a blog is as good of a place as any for now! 
At the funeral, each of the grandkids took a few minutes to share some memories about our grandma.  Funerals aren't always the most fun events to attend but I really enjoyed hers.  She's had dementia for the past several years and it was so fun to laugh and listen to everyone's memories from when we were growing up.  It really was a celebration of her life and I'm so grateful for her wonderful example to me.  Her family really was the most important thing to her and she did a wonderful job at fulfilling her role as a grandmother.  We miss her but I know without a doubt that she is not gone and I will see her again.

 I stole a lot of these pictures from my cousin, Amber's, facebook...

Grandma and Grandpa's wedding 1948


 Me and Grandma at my Grandpa's viewing 2007
 Grandma meeting Noah for the first time.

 My cousin, Daniel, and I at the funeral.
Her three children...
 Cousins Amber, Tyler, and Amanda
 My dad and Noah
 My cousins and aunt watching old videos.
 My cousin Seth and Jon
 My mom and Noah

2 comments:

Amber said...

A wonderful post for a wonderful grandma! I miss her too. :) I loved hearing all the counsins' memories at Grandma's funeral as well. And that is a sweet photo of you and Grandma and Grandpa's viewing; I hadn't see that one before. :)

Steve and Liz Evans said...

I;m sorry about your grandma! We still need to do lunch sometime soon. Let me know when works for you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...