November is National Adoption Month. On Saturday, we participated in the 5th Annual Adoption Walk at Liberty Park. It's fun to go and be with so many other families who's lives have been touched by adoption. I know I am biased, but I look around and think that kids that are adopted are the cutest! I guess they just hold a special place in my heart.
Jon and I are vice-chairs in our local Families Supporting Adoption (FSA) organization. It's basically non-profit groups that work to do outreach and educate about people about adoption.
As part of FSA, Noah and I have recently gone and done a few presentations in local high school classes to educate teenagers about adoption. We go as part of the Utah Adoption Council. The presentations consist of a birth parent and an adoptive parent telling their adoption stories. I've mentioned this on here before, but I LOVE listening to birth parents stories. I really have loved listening to them in these settings because I think that oftentimes people, especially teenagers, have such a different view of who birth parents are and why they would decide to place a baby for adoption. The thing that I have wanted to empasize the most when telling Noah's story is how much Whitney and Jose love him and that is why they placed him for adoption.
I love being a part of FSA! I feel like I get to use a lot of my knowledge from working in Social Work in a new setting and it's so fun getting to advocate for something that you care so much about. After we went to our first meeting Jon turned to me and said, "This is right up your alley, huh?" It totally is. We're excited to get to keep being involved with it!



2 comments:
Wow I guess I haven't checked this blog in a while! How cool you're doing presentations to high schoolers.
Hi Angie! It's so fun to make new adoption buddies and a big hug to Chelsy for "introducing" us! Your blog is absolutely darling and your little guy is too cute for words! James and I are on the board of our local FSA too! Thank you for your words of wisdom concerning adoption and infertility. It really helps to know that there are others out there that are going through the same trials as we are! I hope that we'll cross paths one day and (fingers crossed) we can swap adoption stories!
Post a Comment